BUILDING INDEPENDENCE & SELF-WORTH
We’re encouraged to be independent throughout our entire lives, but sometimes it can be challenging to feel independent and confident in ourselves. If this is something you struggle with, try some of these tips to build independence and find your self-worth.
Part of being independent is finding a sense of self. If you’re struggling to find independence, ask yourself these questions:
- Who am I separate from my family, friends, society, etc?
- What do I value most in life?
- What’s important to me?
- What are my strengths?
Crosswinds Tip: Find some values and strengths that are similar to your inner circle of people, and then some that are different. Focus on why those values are important to you. Find activities that you enjoy and can do alone to help build a sense of independence.
RECOGNIZING AND IDENTIFYING YOUR SELF-WORTH
Another part of feeling idenpendent is recognizing you are worth more than you give yourself credit for. This is not only found in the way you treat yourself, but in the way you let others treat you. We teach others how to treat us in the way we do or do not stand up for ourselves, talk about ourselves, and treat ourselves.
Being independent and confident does not mean you cant’ rely on others. When you are struggling to feel confident in yourself, feel like you’re at your wit’s end, or even worthless, try doing these things to help focus on the positive things in your life:
- Engage in positive self-talk. Focus on one thing in your life (even if it’s small) that is worthwhile and positive.
- Establish a support system. It’s okay to ask for help. Find others you can confide in, trust, and seek help from.
- Remind yourself you are doing the best you can.