We tend to overlook the importance of role models. Both having and being a role model can greatly impact our overall emotional health and well-being.
HOW TO BE A BETTER ROLE MODEL
Showing up is 90% of the job. It is important for children to have a
positive role model present in their life.
- Find ways to connect and engage with your children, young relatives,
or young people who you know.
- Find common interests and align yourselves to things you have in
common. Children connect well when they can communicate about
things that matter to them.
Children tend to connect and relax more over food or drink. Try spending
time over a meal, or even just a soda, and get to know what support your
child needs from a role model.
STRENGTHENING YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR PARENT OR ROLE MODEL
If you’re looking for a way to strengthen your relationship with a parent
or role model, try these steps:
- Be Intentional: Make an effort to connect regularly. This could be
over the phone, in-person, over lunch, etc.
- Be Prepared: Make sure you know what you want to connect on.
Whether you want to bond over a sports team, hobby, or learn
something new about your parent or role model, be purposeful in
- Celebrate Milestones: Be sure to include them in your life
celebrations. This could be paying off a home, starting a new job, or
anything that’s important to you. By doing this you are providing the
opportunity to invite intimacy and attachment to your relationship.